Sunday, April 1, 2012

Adventures in Gardening Part 4

Spring has sprung!

I have a couple of flower beds in my front yard.  One of them has been looking pretty bleak - only my Delphinium survived.  So, I thought it was time to get a couple of new flower plants to fill up the space.  Last week, I went to Home Depot and looked for some tall-ish flowers (the flower bed has a brick border around it, so you can't see shorter flowers unless you're right next to them).   I ended up choosing a Dutch Iris and Snapdragon and planted them this afternoon.


As I've mentioned, I don't have much of a green thumb, so hopefully these guys will do ok.  My Delphinium is making it's comeback again, though.  This flower has lasted me a couple of years so far.
It doesn't look like much right now, but this is how it ends up in full bloom.   I'm always amazed at how tall it gets.

There used to be 4 Gerbera Daisies in this flower bed.  3 of them didn't make it.  This one below really, really tries, but all it seems to do is sprout leaves and no new buds.  I thought I'd give it one more try before pulling it out.

In the other front flower bed are 2 more Gerbera Daisies.  At first, they didn't seem to do too well, but the leaves grow like crazy in there and the flowers always try to bloom.  I say "try" because there's some kind of bug that eats the petals off the flowers, so I don't get to enjoy them in full bloom.  The first picture shows a bud really trying to make it. The second picture is hard to see, but it has 4 buds trying to make their way.


So, we'll see how these new flowers do.  I'm hoping I can enjoy them for years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a message below - I will respond back via email, but if you have a no-reply or don't leave an email address, then I will reply below your comment. Thanks for taking the time to visit and commenting! It's much, much appreciated.