Thursday, April 25, 2013

Contact Lens Calendar

Ok - I know I'm not the only one out there that does this, but I'm very bad at changing out my contact lenses.  I'm supposed to change them every 2 weeks, and well, it just doesn't happen when it's supposed to (I won't admit to how long, mmmkay?).  Anyways, after my last eye appointment, I vowed to be better at changing out my contacts (it helps that I have a friend that works for my eye doctor and she gave me a friendly lecture reminder about changing my contacts on time).  But, I quickly realized the main problem as to why I would always change them out too late - by the time I leave the bathroom after putting in a new set, I would forget to write in on my calendar.  I know how my brain works and I have to write stuff down or I will forget.  So, this idea popped into my head and I'm hoping it works in the long run...


This next picture should explain much better just why it should help me remember when it's time to change out my contacts.

BAM!  Yep - it's a magnetic miniature dry erase calendar on the inside door of my medicine cabinet.  Dry erase marker included.  Stroke. of. genius.  Ok, ok, maybe not genius, but man it's the little things that get me excited sometimes.

I took one of those magnetic plastic picture frames that I already owned and found a free yearly calendar online.  I printed the calendar to the size of the frame (mine was 4x6).
(Please excuse the horrible, night time picture)
I also had this pen with an attached holder from a magnetic dry erase board that I already had.  I wasn't using the pen for it, so I repurposed it by hotgluing it to the back of the frame.
***Update #1***  When I originally tested the dry erase marker on the plastic frame, it wiped off easily with a tissue.  However, after using it for about a month now, it's not wiping off with a tissue anymore. A quick fix?  Rubbing alcohol!  Just dab some rubbing alcohol on the tissue and it will wipe right off.

For some reason, the magnet on the frame wasn't strong enough to hold onto the back of the medicine cabinet door (this was before I added the marker.  It worked just fine where I was using it previously - weird).  So, I had to hotglue a ton of the small, round magnets on the back.
***Update #2***  After using the hot glue to add the extra magnets, I discovered that the hot glue (since it goes on thick) made the height of the magnets un-even.  I ended up taking them all off and used superglue instead.  This worked out way better!
I even had to add more of the magnets after I took this picture.  Hey, whatever works.

I added washi tape to the top and bottom to add a bit of color.  Then, cut the calendar to size and slid it inside the frame.  Easy peasy!

You just have to make sure that the frame will clear any of the shelves or items on the shelves.  Otherwise, when you try closing the door, it won't stay shut.  I had to rearrange a couple of things on the bottom shelf, but it wasn't a big deal.

Since the calendar is pretty small, I just mark a black dot on the date that I change my contacts.  So far, this is making it much easier for me to keep track.

Originally posted by Adventures in DIY

Linked up to:







3 comments:

  1. That is a great idea...I'm the same way with mine. I'm just about to take on a bathroom organization project & might have to find a way to incorporate something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I like this! I need to make one of these for my hubs. He is horrible at changing his too.
    Corey from www.tinysidekick.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work for some eye doctors and this is a great idea! So many people don't change their contacts and don't realize the nasty infections that can happen if you don't properly care for your lenses. Cute Idea!

    Emily @ www.thebensonstreet.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a message below - I will respond back via email, but if you have a no-reply or don't leave an email address, then I will reply below your comment. Thanks for taking the time to visit and commenting! It's much, much appreciated.